Do you ever wonder why your skin reacts differently than you expected to a new product? Or why the newest products that work wonders for others may not suit your skin? The answer lies in decoding your skin type.
Identifying your skin type is the first step to properly taking care of it. Your skin type indicates the unique characteristics that define your skin needs and reveal potential skin issues you may face later on.
What are Skin Types?
Skin types vary from dry, normal, oily, sensitive, and even combination. Your skin may fall into one or more categories based on its texture and how it reacts to certain products.
Skin type is determined by the amount of sebum it produces. Sebum is an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands and is composed of fat molecules or lipids to keep the skin moisturised and protect it from damage. The amount of oil your skin produces generally indicates your skin type.
- Oily skin produces an excess of sebum, appearing shiny and greasy, especially in the T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin). Oily skin is also more prone to acne breakouts, blackheads, and clogged pores.
- Dry skin produces little sebum, which can make the skin feel tight, flaky, and rough. Dry skin is also more prone to premature signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines since there is little sebum present to prevent moisture loss.
- Normal skin produces a balanced amount of sebum. Normal skin is not too oily or too dry, and it is not prone to breakouts or wrinkles either.
- Combination skin is oily in some areas, such as the T-zone, and dry in other areas, such as the cheeks. Combination skin can be difficult to care for, as it requires products that address both oily and dry skin concerns, which makes picking the right products a difficult task.
- Sensitive Skin reacts very harshly to abrasive chemicals or ingredients. Your skin may be sensitive in addition to being dry, oily, combination or normal.
What is Your Skin Type?
You can easily determine your skin type with two simple tests that you can take at home:
1. The Cleanse and Wait Test
Gently cleanse your face and pat it dry. Wait for 30 minutes without applying any other products on top. Now, assess how your skin texture feels:
- Shiny and greasy all over? You've got oily skin.
- Tight, flaky, or rough? Dry skin is your skin type.
- Greasy only in and around the nose? Combination skin is likely your culprit.
- Hydrated and regular texture? Congratulations, you have normal skin!
2. The Blotting Sheet Test
Blotting sheets can be used to determine your skin type. They absorb any oil present on the surface, revealing your skin's natural state:
Wash your face and wait 30 minutes without applying any products. Pat a blotting sheet over different areas of your face. Hold it up to the light and examine the amount of oil it has absorbed:
- Abundant oil on the blotting sheet? Oily skin is your match.
- No oil or barely noticeable amounts? You have dry skin.
- Minimal oil on the sheet? Normal skin is your skin type.
- Oil absorbed only from the t-zone? Combination skin is likely your skin type.
At SEREKO, we are determined to deliver the best of skincare for everyone. We take skincare very seriously and are dedicated to making effective products with skin-loving ingredients. We believe that everyone deserves to have access to products that are tailored to suit their skin.
We make effective, multi-functional products that suit all skin types and are made for everyone – especially those with sensitive skin who struggle to find products that work for them. We aim to provide greater accessibility to people who struggle to find skincare products that work for them.
Our range comprises products that go beyond their traditional functions and offer additional skin and health benefits, taking a holistic approach to skin health and overall well-being.
Super Glow Kit
Our Super Glow Kit is a fizzy blend of prebiotics, probiotics, Vitamin C and Resveratrol that enhances gut function and skin health, and additionally enhances mood by lowering cortisol levels and boosting serotonin output.
Gut imbalances and infections lead to toxins being released into the bloodstream, showing up on the skin as acne and dullness. Our Super Glow Kit increases the bioavailability of the gut, detoxifies the bloodstream, and strengthens the gut against imbalances. It improves the appearance of the skin by brightening complexion, increasing collagen synthesis to increase skin cell regeneration and preventing signs of ageing.
This effective, skin-boosting fizzy blend can easily be incorporated into any self-care routine to deliver more radiant-looking skin in just 14 days!
Our Clarifying Serum is enriched with 15+ active ingredients like Bakuchiol, Vitamin C derived from Acerola cherry, Niacinamide and Sodium Hyaluronate that gently refine skin texture, to deliver the kind of skin you can only dream of! It’s a powerhouse serum that brightens skin, clears up acne, minimises pores, fades hyperpigmentation, balances skin oils and hydrates the skin. It’s our bestseller for a reason!
Our Exfoliating Kit consists of the Clarifying Body Oil and Clarifying Body Scrub recommended to be used together in the shower to slough off dead skin and reveal smooth, nourished, blemish-free skin. Together, they boost skin radiance, improve skin texture and allow products to penetrate the layers of skin for better efficacy.
Our Clarifying Scrub is made of relaxing bath salts and 5+ active ingredients, while our Clarifying Body Oil is enriched with 7+ active ingredients, both for the first time in India.
Their combined benefits include reducing cortisol levels and increasing serotonin output, promoting relaxation, relieving muscle pain, reducing hyperpigmentation, controlling body acne and fading the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks.
Our Vitamin C Complete Regime has been curated to deliver bright, clear, healthy skin and a mind at ease for everyone regardless of skin type. This bundle consists of a complete CTSM and Body Care routine, elevating mundane rituals of skincare to an experience of relaxation and nourishment to reveal the smoothest and most radiant version of your skin, all while lowering cortisol levels and giving your happy hormones a boost, making you glow from within!
Identifying your skin type is the essential first step in crafting a skincare routine that truly works for you!At SEREKO, we pride ourselves on formulating products that are tailored to address the needs of a diverse range of skin types and offer a wide range of products to choose from with something for everyone.
Start your skin healing journey today with SEREKO, and bid your skin concerns goodbye!